Thursday 8 January 2015

For Granny Eileen



My dearest granny.

In your heart, you found a way to connect with each and every person who crossed your path. Not only did you connect with them, but you interrogated them, gave them a lecture, inspired them and by the time you were finished, they were in awe of you. 

Today, I giggled through my tears because every memory I have of you leaves me feeling happy and grateful. Happy remembering your complete unique way of living, and so incredibly grateful for the hundreds of lessons you taught me. 

You never let go of your inner child and I will never forget her. At about seven, I remember us on the pavement outside our house laughing along as we soldier-marched hand in hand while you shouted, "Left, right, left, right, left, left!" and then did a dramatic turn to end it off. I never ever cared what people thought when we were doing things because how could they not know that you were the most intelligent person in the world? 

I remember over school holidays, you would park your impeccably-taken-care-of blue car in our driveway and claim your territory of all our holiday plans and at any moment of debate, we were simply told to "Go play in the traffic my friend", and then you would laugh hard to soften the blow. 

You taught us to question everything, to ask anything, to try, to investigate, to look up words, to read read read, to not use books as skates, to make pancakes, to play outside, to eat everything on our plates, to appreciate, to find a way, to talk things through and with your amazing teaching skills, you taught us to love. 

I love you so much gran, my heart is so sore and sad that you are no longer here, but because you had such an impact and effect on us (whether forced or not), that we all have "granny Eileen" like features. They are easily identified because they are so distinct. Every time I encounter the word 'environment', I think of you. I turn on the stove, I hear your voice in my head. Finger painting, play dough, jungle oats and syrup, compost, coke, jelly, guava juice, fold out tables, cooking rice, long beaded necklaces, witches, slippers with pom-poms, Greek yoghurt, silverware. The lessons and conversations were endless, and so was the love. 

Thank you for the happy and invigorating environment you always created for us. You are the best person I know. 

Rest peacefully my precious gran, we will always miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment